log in for registered members
The Guild of Mace-Bearers
The Guild of Mace-Bearers is the membership organisation for those experts in civic protocol who assist the civic heads of our nation to carry out their ceremonial duties. If you are a visitor we hope you enjoy learning about our guild and the job are all proud to do. If you are a member we hope you will log in to the site to assist you in making use of the guild to further your professional knowledge.
So what does the Guild of Mace-Bearers do?
- Provides free advice on Civic Protocol
- Runs regular training events for Mayoral Officers/Chauffeurs/Mace-Bearers
- Offers 1-2-1 training on-site for new Civic Staff given by experienced staff from other authorities
- Produces an annual review magazine full of member’s news
- Advertises vacancies for Mace-Bearing positions
The Guild has 192 members carrying out ceremonial duties at 125 separate authorities/universities spread across the whole of the United Kingdom.
So how do I join the Guild?
All working Mace-Bearers, whether full or part-time, employed by a civic authority or a university (or anywhere else) are welcome to join us.
If you are not a Mace-Bearer but are interested in our work you are welcome to join as a Friend of the Guild.
For further details or to apply for membership please visit the Membership page.
- Weston Super-Mare Town Council (Closing date 11th September 2023)
- The post would support the Town Mayor and ensure that civic processions are correctly ordered and to lead such processions, carrying the ceremonial Mace at Civic events of the Town Council.
- The position is open to anyone with the required qualities of being able to carry the Mace and uphold civic traditions and protocols.
- The would-be candidate must have a dignified bearing and be confident in dealing with people at all levels.
- A uniform will be provided.
For further details please visit the Vacancies page.
Patrons of the Guild
- The Right Honourable the Lord Mayor of London
- The Speaker of the House of Commons
- The Speaker of the Scottish Parliament
- The Speaker of the Welsh Assembly.
As the upholders of civic tradition we are proud and honoured to have received the recognition and support of the holders of these distinguished positions.