The Guild of Mace Bearers is the membership organisation for those who assist the Civic Heads of our Nation carry out their ceremonial duties. Whether we are full time Council employees or occasionally carry out ceremonial work in an honorary capacity we care for the civic insignia and robes of our local councils and assist our Mayor’s, Chairmen and Provosts to continue the traditional customs of their area.
The Guild aims to uphold and preserve the customs of the civic life and to give advice to any who seek it. In so doing the Guild tries to collect and disseminate information to its members to enable them to better perform their duties and so uphold the position and dignity of the office of Mace-Bearer.
The Patrons of the Guild are the Right Honourable the Lord Mayor of London, the Speaker of the House of Commons, the Speaker of the Scottish Parliament and the Speaker of the Welsh Assembly.
Aims & Objectives
- To uphold and preserve the customs of the civic and corporate life of the Country and to advise thereon.
- To collect and disseminate information that will assist Members in the performance of their duties.
- To uphold the position and dignity of the office of Mace Bearer within the civic and corporate domain.
- To encourage a degree of uniformity in civic and corporate ceremonial without infringing the peculiar and characteristic customs of individual Towns and Boroughs.
- To assemble its Members periodically to discuss matters of professional interest. The ideals of the Guild are strictly non-sectarian and non-political and the Guild does not seek the status of a union.
The Guild Motto is “SEMPER FIDELIS” meaning “Ever Faithful”